We often think of surrender as a weakness, when in reality is our strength. Surrendering is no easy task. Trusting God is also not as easy as we want it to be. I think surrender and trusting God work together. Trusting God requires an intentional and continuous action of surrender and submission to him.
We can’t just surrender to God and move on. Why? Because we as humans like having control and giving that up is hard. We lay it down and often pick up those worries, fears and situations again. That is why we surrender daily and sometimes many times that same day.
It is an action that you need to do when worries start creeping in, lay it down. When circumstances cause us to fear, we lay it down. When someone we love dies and we feel anger or grief, lay it down. When someone hurts you and you want to be bitter about it, lay it down. When lies sneak in and try to steal your peace, lay it down. When you want to hold onto something he is asking you to let go, lay it down.
In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” He tells us to come to him and lay those things down at his feet. He says that because we were never meant to carry that weight, but he is, that is why he died for us.
We know that truth but do we obey it? The bible says in James 1:22 “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” I am not writing this to convict you; I am writing this to convict myself. I want to trust God, I want to surrender but man my flesh is weak. Matthew 26:41b “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." That is precisely why it is so hard.
I wrote something a while ago called my daily declaration. I wrote it as something to say every day. It includes a prayer of surrender, putting on the amour of God, resisting the enemy, protection, and truth. (https://kianabergen.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-daily-declaration.html) I think it is important for us all to have one. You can use some of what I wrote to help you write your own, but include surrender and the spiritual armour in it.
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” –Proverbs 3:5-6
No comments:
Post a Comment