Friday, July 3, 2020

How do we think outside the box?

I am sure you have all heard the phrase “Think outside the box”. That phrase means to think differently, or from a new perspective. There is a lot of truth in that. Especially when it comes to life. We have plans or ideas of how we think things should go or ways we expect to get stuff done.
 I personally get caught up in my thoughts a lot. I get stuck in a certain way of thinking and have trouble thinking outside the box. 
I think expectations often lead us to disappointment. I think that is the point. Jesus wants us to expect him to provide and take care of us, even when it looks different then what we had planned, it often ends up being much better. 
He often uses the unexpected to correct our old ways of thinking. If everything went the way we wanted, we would expect things to happen a certain way or know the outcomes. We would always get what we want, how we want it to happen. Character building happens when life is unexpected. 
Even writing these words, I never know how it will turn out. I start writing with an idea in my head but don’t know how it will end. I like having an idea and going for it. Sit down, start writing and see where I end up. It is kinda nice to not have expectations. I don’t worry about what others think. I don’t worry about what I will write, I know God will come through and i know that he knows how it will turn out. It’s okay to not have all  the answers. It’s not fun, it’s confusing, and frustrating at times, but there is beauty and growth in it all.

“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts, and my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine” -Isaiah 55:8

God knows things we don’t, and he can see things that we can’t. He sees the full picture, he knows how it all works. He is sovereign over all.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight” -Proverbs 3:5-6

We submit to his authority because of who he is. He is all knowing, He is all powerful, He sees everything. He is worthy of our trust. He is always faithful even when we don’t see his faithfulness. He is always working for his glory and our good. 

“The Lord has made everything for his own purposes” -Proverbs 16:4

“Even when I don’t see it, you're working, Even when I don’t feel it, you're working, You never stop working” Song: Waymaker by Leeland 

“You take what the enemy meant for evil and you turn it for good” Song: See a Victory by Elevation Worship

So to answer the question, How do we think outside the box? The answer is simple, Jesus. Yeah I know, the typical Christian answer, “Jesus is always the answer”. But it couldn't be more true. More of Jesus is always a good thing. We look to him, we ask him to give us his eyes, we thank him in hard times, we praise him always, we spend time with him, and pray to be more like him. It is hard to go with the flow of his plans, I know how hard it is. We must learn to go with his flow to fully experience life, to truly live life fully. Believe me it is a process, I am still in the midst of it but I have faith that I will one day be good at it, and I know you will too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment